creamy & dreamy, triple spiced with ginger, and soothed with honey
In light of the herb of the month, I have a treat for you! Triple Ginger Coconut Milk Ice Cream. Best dairy free ice cream I’ve ever had.
In this homemade ice cream, ginger manifests its herbal self in 3 powerful ways: dried, fresh, and crystallized. This results in a spicy trinity of tastiness that swoons your tongue for more. The golden goo made by the bees sweetens the deal with just the right balance, and the chewy crystallized ginger pieces add the perfect texture variation.
I’ve already written all about how amazing ginger is, but to refresh your memory, I’ll remind you that it’s excellent for nausea, motion sickness, digestion, and even painful periods. So yes, you can eat this ice cream if you are pouting at home in sweats from nauseating cramps. This ice cream is more than a dessert. It has medicine in it. How could this ice cream not be my favorite, with all this hippie medicine in it with no compromise in flavor or texture?
I am a sweetener minimalist, and most of the food here at archerfriendly reflects that. But this ice cream? It’s special. It has a bit more sweetener than most of the things I make. That means it is a very special treat to be eaten on rare occasions. If I’m going to splurge on something sweet, this is what I want it to be. Medicinal ice cream sweetened with honey and made with pure, organic ingredients. This is quality, allergy friendly ice cream (if you’re not allergic to eggs!).
Speaking of eggs, please be warned that consumption of raw eggs could lead to food poisoning. You can minimize this by using a food thermometer to test the temperature of your ice cream prior to cooling it.
This would be a top notch dessert for your a-f Thai themed dinner party. For the main course, you could make red thai curry in your crock-pot. As an appetizer, you could serve Tom Kha Gai Soup. You could even make date sweetened cardamom black bean brownies to serve with the ice cream (recipe coming!). Cardamom is Thai, too, not just Indian. And it’s medicinal… I just turned your Thai dinner party into a therapeutic retreat!
When the fresh ginger is infused in organic, full fat coconut milk, it creates an olfactory experience that will make you inpatient for the final product. You might be tempted to taste it, just like it’s pictured below. When it’s complete, you will also be impressed at how easily it scoops…just like normal-person ice cream. In fact, offer some to your normal-person friends and see how much they like it.
Triple Ginger Coconut Milk Ice Cream
Makes slightly over 7 cups of ice cream
- 5 cups organic full fat coconut milk
- 1 good thumb sized piece of fresh ginger root, chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 8 cage free egg yolks
- 3/4 cup golden bee goo (honey)
- 1/3 heaping cup chopped crystallized ginger (measure it chopped)
- extra chopped crystallized ginger if you want to use it as a topping
- Place chopped crystallized ginger pieces in the freezer.
- Place coconut milk, fresh ginger root, ground ginger, sea salt, and vanilla in a medium sized pot over medium heat. Cook for about 30 minutes while stirring, careful that it does not boil. If mixture boils, turn heat down.
- Whisk egg yolks and honey together in a heat friendly bowl (non-plastic).
- Add 1/2 cup of the hot coconut milk mixture to the egg yolk & honey mixture. Whisk it well.
- Pour egg & honey mixture into the pot with the rest of the coconut milk mixture. Turn heat down to low.
- Cook on low for about 3-5 minutes, while carefully stirring the mixture and watching for it to thicken.
- Pour mixture over a stainless steel strainer to remove the fresh ginger pieces.
- Place mixture in the fridge and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Pour mixture into your 2 quart, pre-frozen ice cream maker.
- Follow ice cream making directions from the manufacturer. (I used a cuisinart ice cream maker x 30 minutes.)
- 5 minutes before the ice cream maker is finished, add the chopped crystallized ginger into your ice cream as it spins in the ice cream maker.
- When ice cream maker is done, pour mixture into a freezer friendly container and store in the freezer.
- Top with chopped crystallized ginger prior to serving.