nutmeg and pears dance together in this cool autumn drink with coconut milk and walnuts
This recipe reminds me of the days when I first found out I had interstitial cystitis (IC). I did this IC elimination diet where all I ate was cow milk, pears, turkey, lamb, carrots, and rice. This was the first archerfriendly diet (version 1.0). I started combining pears (with the skin!) and cow milk in the blender for some variation, and soon discovered that freezing the pear for about an hour or two prior to blending made it more like a dessert. And I served this dessert to my friends.
During this time, I got to know all varieties of pears really well, so much so that now I especially crave red pears and bosc pears every fall. This recipe tastes best with red pears.
I couldn’t have walnuts back in the day, but I can have them now. I need them now. I’ve been having some blood sugar issues recently, which is why the walnuts in this recipe are essential for me. Adding protein to a carbohydrate meal helps to balance blood sugar after a meal, although I’m not sure that five walnuts will really do the job. I like to think it helps.
Pear Milk Smoothie
Makes 1 serving
- 1 chilled pear, cut-up with the skin
- 5 walnuts
- 3/4 cup So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 10 generous grates of fresh nutmeg or 1/8 tsp powdered nutmeg
Add everything to your blender and blend away. I use a Vitamix.
- Tastes best with red pears.
- Try freezing the pear for 1-2 hours prior to blending it. This is my favorite way to drink Pear Milk.
- Omit walnuts if they bother you. I used to drink it that way, and it still tastes great without them.
- If you don’t have So Delicious Coconut Milk on hand, use full fat coconut milk but thin it in half with water.
- Also tastes good with rice milk.
- I usually do not add stevia to this recipe. Add to taste if you need it.
Enjoy More Archerfriendliness
I'm sure all those football crazed muscle-head men who obsess about the Super Bowl are totally into vegetarianism and hippie centric natural health. That's why they all flock to archerfriendly. ...
Traditionally, a blueberry blackberry pie contains flour and sugar in the berry filling. I know this because I texted Mama Crow and she told me so. (Mama Crow is what I call my mom because she's a...
For Sunday dinners, we try to make a really big meal in hopes that it will last us several days through the work week ahead. Eating the same meal for three to four days in a row is how we survive ...